Designed by Eero Saarinen in 1958, Hill College House is an internationally recognized architectural landmark located at the corner of 33rd and Walnut Streets. Originally a women's dormitory, the building's entry features an allegorical bridge over an ivy filled "moat" and its surrounding spiked metal fence. The living spaces, including five floors of double bedroom accommodates 500 students. Student lounges and seminar rooms are built around a vast central atrium that overlooks a dining area on the lower level.
A complete building renovation is underway to address the maintenance and system upgrades needed for a modern College House. Work includes the conversion of all bathrooms to individual restrooms and shower rooms, renovations to all bedrooms and common spaces, upgrades to MEP systems including air conditioning, and major upgrades to the central kitchen and dining areas. The building masonry envelope with be repointed and all windows will be restored. A new roof will be installed as well as new curtainwall glazing facing the central atrium.
Total Project Cost:
May 2016 – July 2017
M+Sa – Mills Schnoering and Associates